After indulging in a delicious Thanksgiving feast, it’s not uncommon to feel a little overstuffed, bloated, and sluggish. But fear not! You can support your digestive system and promote post-meal comfort with a few mindful choices. As a registered dietitian, I’m here to guide you through some expert tips to improve digestion after your Thanksgiving celebration or any celebration.
5 Ways to Have Better Digestion
- Start with Hydration: Begin your post-meal recovery by sipping on water or herbal tea. Staying hydrated is crucial for digestion, as it helps break down food and move it through your digestive tract. Add a splash of citrus for added flavor to the water.
- Gentle Movement: After your meal, consider going for a leisurely walk with family and friends. Light physical activity can stimulate digestion and also lower blood glucose.
- Herbal Assistance: Certain herbs have been used for digestion relief for centuries. Peppermint and ginger are excellent choices. Try sipping peppermint or ginger tea to soothe your stomach and ease any post-meal discomfort.
- Mindful Eating Practices: During the meal, it’s easy to get caught up in the joy of the holiday and eat quickly. To support digestion, practice mindful eating. Chew your food slowly, savor each bite, and take breaks between servings. This allows your body to recognize when it’s full, preventing overeating.
- Probiotic Power: Include probiotic-rich foods in your post-feast menu. Yogurt with live cultures, kefir, or fermented vegetables can introduce beneficial bacteria to your gut, supporting a healthy digestive environment.
This holiday season, give your digestive system the care it deserves by incorporating these tips into your post-meal routine. Remember, moderation and mindful choices are key to enjoying the holidays while keeping your digestion on track.
Jerlyn–The Lifestyle Dietitian